5 Tips to Beat Digestive Distress without Taking the Fun out of Summer
Summer is a great time to enjoy various fruits and veggies, but I know the scene well. It’s the first day of vacation, and you are frantically scrambling around the house looking for beach towels, sunblock, flip flops, sunglasses, etc. You finally hit the road, forgetting to bring water and the healthy snacks you prepared. No biggie. You can easily hit the food truck and vending machine when you get there. It’s vacation after all!
One chili dog, two diet cokes and a pina colada later, you are floating in the water basking in the raze. You feel the familiar gurgle in your stomach. You think to yourself, “it’s fine, I ate too much, but I am so relaxed.” A little too relaxed. You find yourself sprinting from the water, running for the nearest public restroom—no time to grab a towel or flip flops. After you finish, you wish you had packed a shower and a change of clothes.
Could this embarrassing scene have been avoided if you suffer from digestive distress? Yes! Do you need to live on water and kale chips all summer? Heck no!
Ditching digestive distress is all about balance. It’s not like a diet where you can take in 50000 calories Saturday and fast the next three days. One horrible day can set you back for a week or more. On the other hand, there are 104 days to summer vacation; why waste a day feeling like crawling under the covers?
Here are my five tips to ditch digestive distress without taking the fun out of summer:
- Water, Water, Water. Caffeine and alcohol + sun dehydrate the body and cause gas and bloating.
- Moderation. Craving that chili cheese dog or chocolate chip witch? Have it! Be mindful of whatever else you eat and drink that day.
- Pick up a high-quality probiotic from the health food store, especially if you are traveling. It will help balance your belly, fight off bacteria and germs.
- Sip on lemon, ginger, or mint water/tea to speed up digestion and reduce bloating.
- Don’t skip the salad. Incorporating some roughage every day will you flush out extra fat and processed foods you consume.
Want to dive deeper into your digestive issues? CLICK HERE to schedule a free 30-minute transformation call.